Recipe for Banana and Peanut Butter "Pup" Cakes
Why throw a dog party?
As a pet owner, you should never have to struggle to come up with great reasons to throw a dog-friendly party. You and your furriest friends can celebrate your pet's birthday, your birthday, or any major or minor holiday.
Even better, you could use the occasion to help other pets by asking human guests to contribute to a local dog shelter or another worthy cause.
If you want to throw a dog party, you'll need some party treats. I like to call this recipe Pup Cakes, but really they're a type of cupcake. They look just like regular cupcakes, but they omit sugar and other ingredients dogs shouldn't have. These baked goods also include two flavors that most pooches enjoy. At least, my dog's a big fan of banana and peanut butter.
Most people and dogs can safely eat this sort of cake in moderation. However, without sugar, people might not enjoy them as much as dogs do.
Pup Cake and Frosting Ingredients
You probably already have most of these ingredients at home. If not, you can find them at any grocery store.
Pup Cake ingredients include:
- 1/4 cup of peanut butter: Make sure the peanut butter's ingredients don't include xylotol, a sweetener that humans can enjoy but dogs cannot tolerate. Choose smooth peanut butter.
- 1 medium-sized banana mashed well
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of regular flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- A cupcake pan and paper cupcake liners: Expect to make about five regular-sized cupcakes.
Pup Cake frosting ingredients include:
- 4 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1 banana mashed well
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter: Again, choose smooth peanut butter without xylotol as an ingredient.
Pup Cake Instructions
It helps to divide preparing the Pup Cakes into three steps:
- Start by preheating the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Line the cupcake can with paper liners. Mix the baking powder and flour together in a bowl. Set the cupcake pan and the dry ingredients aside.
- Combine the peanut butter, mashed banana, water, and egg together in another bowl. Stir in the dry ingredients. Spoon this batter into the cupcake pan.
- Bake regular-sized cupcakes for 12 to 18 minutes. Miniature cupcakes might bake faster, so check them with a toothpick after about six to eight minutes.
Pup Cake Frosting Instructions
Blend the peanut butter and cream cheese. Softening these two ingredients in a microwave for 30 seconds might make them easier to mix.
Blend half of a mashed banana into the cream cheese and peanut butter mixture. Expect a somewhat heavier consistency than ordinary frosting.
Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes. For a fancier presentation, use a piping bag.
Want more delicious treat inspo?
Here at Moe's, we know how to make a pretty delicious treat for your puppy. For a yummy treat combined with the goodness of great ingredients, try our Pampered Pooch treat bundle to give Fido everything he wants & needs!
Share Your Pup Cakes!
Be sure to share your cupcakes on social media before you share them with your pet. Since we'd love to see it, please tag @MoesHealthyPets.